Monday, September 24, 2012

Agent Pitch Finalist #3 - Tomboy Rules: Blossoms Are Always Prepared

Tomboy Rules: Blossoms Are Always Prepared
Chapter Book, realistic
10,021

Query:

Eight-year-old Mabel isn’t going to let a few pesky rules get in the way of an adventure, especially when she thinks camping will be her biggest one yet. She is so close to going that she can almost feel the itchy mosquito bites.  That is, if she can stay in the Blossoms troop long enough to go.

Mabel has already made two mistakes, but they really weren’t her fault. So what if she saved a spider from a shoe-squishing? She didn’t know girls aren’t supposed to like them. And she didn’t mean to ruin the cookie sale. All of those boxes of cookies just looked so tempting stored right in her room.

With her only chance at camping on the line, Mabel tries baking cookies, the girliest thing she can think of, and sets out on a sneaky delivery. But when Mabel discovers she isn’t the only intruder crashing the campout, she has to decide if she will use her tomboy talents to save the Blossomsfrom a stinky situation.

First 150 Words:

Except for maybe broccoli burps, nothing smells worse than broccoli steam. I held my breath to keep it from going up my nose while I scooped two heaping spoonfuls onto my plate.

“Mabel, are you going to eat all of that?” Mom asked with a funny look.

“Yup. Every bite,” I said. I blew the steam away before I put a forkful into my mouth, chewed just a little, and swallowed hard so I didn’t have to taste it.

“But you don’t like broccoli,” she said. She took a sip of water out of her glass. “I know what you’re up to. This is about Blossoms again isn’t it?” Mom put down her glass and rubbed her temples with her fingers.

“Why do you want to join Blossoms anyway?” Snarly asked. “It’s stupid. And it’s for girls. You’re more like a boy than a girl.” She made a cross-eyed face at me.

3 comments:

Linda Glaz said...

Again I don't do kids' but how adorable!

Tricia Lawrence of Erin Murphy Literary said...

I'm intrigued enough to want to see more. Check with Deana about submission info. Thx!

Tricia Lawrence of Erin Murphy Literary said...

Adding sub info: Please send this manuscript (as .doc attachments) and paste your full query for in the email to tricia@emliterary.com with the subject as GUTGAA and author name and title. Thx!